Is there still a way to get the download link?
Vrider - VR Biking
A downloadable VR game for Windows
New beta demo released for download free!
Vrider is a VR only biking experience for your HTC Vive or Oculus Rift. The game mechanics have proven themselves in the prototype phase and the project is quickly moving to early access later this spring.
Using any exercise bike to transport yourself to kilometers of open world mountain landscapes full of breathtaking vistas. Stick to the trails or go offroad taking jumps of cliffs or race down mountains at high speed!
- In game world gaze based menu to select biking difficulty and starting points
- No need for a mobile phone to sense leg movement! This was necessary in our technical test
- Multiple starting points for new and exciting journeys
- Dynamic wind effects as you gain or lose speed
- Better bike crash and getting stuck detection (still more improvement to come)
Note: Our trailer is slightly out of date and missing these advancements. We'll have a new one out soon!
Actual game mechanics are still under consideration with several possibilities and potential game types. At the moment it is an entirely open free roaming world with no objectives/scoring.
Game physics are targeting more arcade than simulation. Use your body to naturally command your bicycle:
- Peddling rate determines your speed
- Steer by shifting your body weight left or right
- Jump by leaning forward and pulling/popping back
- Lean backward to dynamically apply brakes
- Lean fully back while stopped to slowly back step / go reverse
- Bike placement awareness to align seat better to virtual bike and ensure menus are facing forward and not behind you
- Bike control in the air to ensure you can control landing jumps
- Bike model for in game bike
- Optional helmet overlay to help those with motion sickness
- Time trials for the trail with global leaderboards
- Stunt mode with the additions of loops, ramps, jumps and other obstacles
- Procedural endless sky runner. Random obstacles, jumps and high speed hundreds of feet above the mountain range
How it works / Tips
We measure the very subtle movements of the head under various biking speeds. As everyone is different these measurements are all calculated relative to your own movement.
A few sensitivity/difficulty settings have been provided in the latest demo to suit diffent styles, training intensity and bike types (spin, standard, desk, recumbent).
Much more testing and optimizating can be achieved and your feedback based on your experiences will go a long way to something that feels "right".
When it comes to steering try to avoid steering with your face leaning forward to guide you. This can work, but is uncomfortable and steering is more effective with actual leaning movement of your upper body.
At this early stage there is not a lot of optimization therefore at early access more demanding requirements are expected.
- Windows PC with I5 or I7 and at least a GTX 980 (or equivalent)
- HTC Vive or Oculus Rift (motion controllers not required)
Note: In previous releases a mobile phone was required. In the latest release all you need is your VR headset.
Additional Note: The game has not been tested with an Oculus Rift yet therefore feedback from Rift users would be greatly appeaciatied. There should be no problems, but without the hardware on hand to test I'm relying on the community.
Donations will be accepted, though we will be releasing a paid early access version shortly for a few dollars.
Donations are super appreciated, but not required and you can download the beta demo totally free of charge!
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
Hello, thanks for your interest. Our technical test is now closed, but there will be a some more public tests coming up in March. Please stay tuned!