VR Rider - Virtual Reality Biking
A downloadable VR game for Windows
New free early access demo released for download!
Paid early access adds two new start points and removes time limits, with more to come!
VR Rider is a VR only biking experience for your HTC Vive or Oculus Rift. The game mechanics have proven themselves in the prototype phase and the project is quickly moving to early access later this spring.
Using any exercise bike to transport yourself to kilometers of open world mountain landscapes full of breathtaking vistas. Stick to the trails or go offroad taking jumps of cliffs or race down mountains at high speed!
New Features / Fixes
- Physical bike placement awareness for menus and virtual bike orientation
- Small rocks and decorative landscape don't create a bumpy ride
- Added steering dead zone to assist in keeping straight
- Updated to Unreal Engine 4.14 with MSAA (better performance+quality)
- Many optimizations to assure stable frame rates
- Support for super sampling
- Better bike crash and getting stuck detection (still more improvement to come)
At the moment it is an entirely open free roaming world with no objectives/scoring.
Game physics are targeting more arcade than simulation. Use your body to naturally command your bicycle:
- Peddling rate determines your speed
- Steer by shifting your body weight left or right
- Jump by leaning forward and pulling/popping back
- Lean backward to dynamically apply brakes
- Lean fully back while stopped to slowly back step / go reverse
- Steam release (Accepted already, publishing remains)
- Mission mode - Relay supplies while evading and escaping a variety of foes
- Time trials for the trail with global leaderboards
- Support for mods and custom maps
- More environments
- Bike model for in game bike
How it works / Tips
We measure the very subtle movements of the head under various biking speeds. As everyone is different these measurements are all calculated relative to your own movement.
A few sensitivity/difficulty settings have been provided in the latest demo to suit diffent styles, training intensity and bike types (spin, standard, desk, recumbent).
Much more testing and optimizating can be achieved and your feedback based on your experiences will go a long way to something that feels "right".
When it comes to steering try to avoid steering with your face leaning forward to guide you. This can work, but is uncomfortable and steering is more effective with actual leaning movement of your upper body.
At this early stage there is not a lot of optimization therefore at early access more demanding requirements are expected.
- Windows PC with I5 or I7 and at least a GTX 980 (or equivalent)
- HTC Vive or Oculus Rift (motion controllers not required)
- Exercise/indoor bicycle (any bike will do!)
For super sampling options you should ideally have an 980ti, 1070, 1080, 1080ti or equivalent AMD card.
Click download now to get access to the following files: